Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Review: E.L.F. Studio Matte Lip Colour

What better thing to do at 9pm on a cold, dreary English evening than review your latest favourite make up product? 

This is my first review of anything on my blog so please be gentle with me! I'm still practising :).

Recently ELF did a 50% off sale and not one to pass up an opportunity this amazing, I decided to place a substantially large order. I got quite a few products but I think by far this is my favourite out the lot. It's a product that I think is quite new to the Studio range and one that caught my eye straight away. 

If you have not heard of ELF, they are an online only (unless you live in the USA in which case I think their products can be purchased from somewhere like Walgreens or CVS or something.) based cosmetics company selling a wide variety of cosmetics for between £1 and £20 - although the majority of their products are either £1.50 or £3.50. Their products are generally quite brilliant quality and I have only ever had one fault with a product I have purchased from them.

Back to the review:
I've never been a keen lipstick wearer. I wear glasses that have a dark frame and have a very pale complexion, so I tend to find that a lot of the time when I apply something to my lips it looks really strange. This may all just be in my head but I don't know. I feel like I'm missing out on owning so many pretty lipsticks because of this so I'm attempting to ease myself into wearing them more often.

I chose this product as my first lip colour for two reasons:

1. It's a matte lip product. The product will sit nicer on my lips and the lack of shine will ensure that not much attention is drawn to them. I wanted my first foray into lip products to be a subtle change. 

2. The colour. It's what you might refer to as a "my lips but better" kind of shade. So again, it's going to be a subtle transition into wearing lip colour. 

Image courtesy of www.eyeslipsface.co.uk
This particular product is taken from the Studio line and is priced at £3.50. There are a few other colours available on their website: LINK

Here are some swatches I took:

Taken with my iPhone without flash

Taken with my iPhone with flash.
The flash on my phone makes the colour appear very different to what it actually is like in real life. The top picture clearly shows what I mean about the "my lips but better" shade. It barely even looks like I have anything on my lips - some might say this is disappointing but I love it! 

The product itself has a really creamy consistency and glides onto the lips easily. It also has a lot of pigmentation and provides a good coverage of colour. You get a lot of product for your money too and don't need to use a lot on your lips for it to look good.

My only issue would be that the actual pencil of product has a fair bit of room to wobble around inside the tube. This means that when you're applying it to your lips it's quite easy to press up against the top of the tube causing it to make a dent in the product and make the tube messy.

I would definitely recommend this product to anybody looking for something like it and am looking forward to trying out some of the other colours they have! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :-D!