Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Jubilee Weekend

This post is long overdue. Especially taking into consideration how long has passed since the Jubilee weekend! It feels like only yesterday to me but it has in fact been almost 3 weeks.

I actually think this weekend was one of the best of my entire life.

My boyfriend (Jim) and I were lucky enough to win tickets to the Jubilee Concert that took place in front of Buckingham Palace and organised by Gary Barlow. We never win anything so I was ecstatic to win these tickets!

Included with the tickets was an invitation to the Jubilee Picnic in Buckingham Palace Gardens. I actually almost died when Jim told me we'd won these. I think there were only a thousand given out to people at random so our luck was definitely in that day!

I took loads of pictures but only chose a select few to share with you on here :) A lot of the ones I took at the concert were a bit pants - we were sat quite high up and so I had to really zoom in to get a close up picture of the celebs performing.


Chilling in Hyde Park before the concert. Jim didn't really appreciate the mask I bought.


Walking through the centre of Buckingham Palace! This was actually one of my favourite moments of the day. It was so surreal walking through the palace (where you couldn't take pictures) where so many amazing people have walked before.


The picnic everyone was given was AMAZING. Everyone got their own individual picnic hamper (so cute!) and inside was a 5 course meal for one designed by Heston Blumenthal in collaboration with Waitrose. I didn't eat three of the items given (The salmon dish, Jubilee chicken or the cold soup) as it was foods I don't like. But the cakes, bread and cheese and crackers that I did eat were lovely. 


There I am with the picnic hamper! Not the best picture haha


That's Jim in his rain poncho. Unfortunately it did rain but this was anticipated by the hamper designers and everyone was given a free rain poncho to wear. I was really grateful for this as I only had a thin rain jacket on and it got quite cold later in the day.


 Walking back out through the courtyard to the concert!

The next few pictures of the concert are quite poor quality ~ iPhone cameras do not perform that well in low lighting!

When Madness were performing (on the roof!) they projected different houses and a block of flats on the front of Buckingham Palace. I don't think anybody really paid any attention to Madness as we were all fascinated by the projections!


This rubbish picture is of all the artists on the stage as well as select members of the Royal Family and the Queens Guards at the front. It was taken during Prince Charles' speech so the Queen is actually on stage somewhere. I was super emotional at this point in the day and actually ended up crying all the way through his speech and the fireworks that followed! Never imagined myself as being much of a Royalist so I surprised myself with my emotions!




You can't really tell in the picture above but there was a huge beam of light shining into the sky at this point ~ after the Queen lit the last jubilee beacon.

It was such an anti-climax to return home after the concert! I think I was upset about being back in Hull all week! But I will definitely remember that day forever and I'm so glad Jim and I got the opportunity to go. 

What did you guys get up to on Jubilee Weekend (if you can even remember!)? 
I hope you all took advantage of the extra bank holiday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment :-D!